background

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

38 weeks

Today marks 38 weeks and boy am I feeling it!  I went to my appointment with my midwife yesterday and found out that the baby was posterior.  I have gotten her to turn for the time being.  I'm hoping she stays that way because I don't think back labor would be good for me with my herniated discs.  I've been feeling back pains with some of my braxton hicks contractions.  Hopefully when it comes time for labor and delivery she will get in the right position. 

The midwives don't "check" their patients prior to labor and delivery so I don't know if I'm dilated or effaced at all.  They don't do it because there is an increased risk of infection and it doesn't really help one way or the other.  I was kind of bummed but at the same time, the baby will come when the baby wants to.

I tested negative for Group B Strep.  One less thing to have to consider.  Also, they offered me a flu shot and the pertussis vaccine.  I was hesitant but realized that we were heading right into the beginning of flu season and I wanted to arm my baby girl with as much protection as possible.  I told the nurse that the last time I got the pertussis vaccine it didn't hurt at all afterward.  I didn't even feel it when they gave it to me.  I am thinking it was a pertussis only vaccine.  The one they gave me yesterday was the T-DaP (tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis).  So she put the flu shot in my right arm and the T-DaP in my left arm...I'm left handed.  My left arm is in so much pain!  It is sooooo sore!  I can't move it without it hurting a lot.  I didn't sleep much at all last night and can't get comfortable at all.  I blame it on the tetanus.  Ouch! 

The clinic I go to is a group practice so whoever is on call when I go into labor is the midwife that will deliver our baby.  Yesterday I met one of the midwives I hadn't met yet and I am really hoping she delivers our baby.  I asked her questions about the delivery and how lenient they will be with me during my labor to avoid another c-section.  She made me feel like she would give me a fair chance with my VBAC and made me feel more comfortable than some of the others have.   Not that the others have expressed a strict atmosphere but she just made me feel more at ease with it all.

I really want this baby to be born in September, not October.  I don't know why, maybe because I don't want to throw Halloween themed birthday parties every year.  September just sound like a good month.  I'm hoping she will be born next week sometime.  I think the 27th would be a good day.  We're working on it :)



No comments:

Post a Comment