background

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

39 Weeks :)

We made it to 39 weeks.  I am hoping to not make it to 40 weeks though.  We have 5 1/2 days left of September.  I'm crossing my fingers we have this baby by the end of the week!  Friday would be ideal, but we'll see what happens.

My body is definitely getting ready.  I'm having sporadic contractions all day and the pressure in my pelvis is getting more and more intense.  I'm pretty sure she has dropped.  She is still not in the ideal anterior position, but hopefully she will turn when labor begins. 

I packed my hospital bag today.  I know most women have their bags packed much earlier but I really didn't want to live out of a suitcase for a month.  I am taking much less stuff to the hospital this time around.  I learned my lesson from last time.  I also packed two separate bags.  One is for the things I will need during labor and delivery and the other is for the things I will need for my hospital stay, which hopefully won't be too long of a stay.  Last time I packed everything in one large bag and Joe didn't want to haul it in when we first went into labor and delivery just in case we were sent home.  That resulted in not having our bag in our room until after Sunshine was born and it had our camera in the bag so we didn't get photos of her being born.  This time I have a small backpack with all the stuff we will need for labor and delivery.  That bag will definitely go in with us.

I finished writing our birth preferences a week or so ago.  Yesterday I took it with me to my appointment and went over it with the midwife who then signed it and scanned it into my electronic file so the nurses will have it when we go into labor and delivery.  I've heard it said so many times that you shouldn't write a birth plan because you will be disappointed with the outcome.  I've also heard people say that those who go to the hospital with a birth plan come out with a c-section.  I don't think this is true, if you go about it in the right way.  I feel like our birth preferences are completely reasonable and still leave room for whatever may happen.  It was important for me to write our preferences down because I do not want to be asked or have to discuss induction/augmentation or pain management, unless there is a real medical need.  I also like having our expectations written down so there is no question on the nurses end and also so we don't get the "routine" labor and delivery.  We hope our preferences are respected and we hope it helps us achieve the birth we have envisioned.

All that is left to do now is wait, and do whatever we can to help jump-start labor.  We hope she comes very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment