background

Thursday, September 26, 2013

What's in the Bag?

My friend asked on Facebook for some advice on what to take with her to the hospital.  There were sooo many suggestions from many, many women.  I told her I would send her my list since I finished packing my bag yesterday.  I decided to post my list on my blog.  So here it is:

Paperwork
  • Drivers license
  • Insurance card
  • Birth preferences - multiple copies
  • Wallet
For Labor and Delivery
  • Washcloths
  • Tennis balls
  • Chapstick
  • Hair ties, brush
  • Snacks (crackers, granola bars, beef jerky - for Joe.  The hospital won't bring you food but you can bring your own.  The midwives said I could eat during labor.  Most practitioners won't allow you to eat, so ask for some privacy and sneak a granola bar if you really need it.  I hear labor is a lot of work or something ;) so you just may need that energy.  Also, I had Sunshine just before midnight and all they could offer me after her birth was saltine crackers because the kitchen was closed.)
  • iPod player
  • Birthing ball
  • Extra pillows (Just in case the hospital ones are crappy.  Be sure to put colored pillow cases on them so they don't get whisked away.) 
  • Camera/charger
  • Video camera/charger
  • HypnoBirthing booklet for Daddy to reference.
  • Essential oils
  • Swimsuit (I am going to request a birthing pool in my room.  I'm bringing this so I don't have to show off my goods to the world.)
Hospital Stay - Mommy
  • Flip flops for shower
  • Toothbrush/toothpaste
  • Deodorant
  • Comb
  • Hair ties
  • Shampoo/Conditioner 
  • Soap
  • Lotion
  • Face wash
  • Dry Shampoo (I had a c-section last time and couldn't shower, only spit bath.  The hospital didn't have any dry shampoo so my hair was really gross.)
  • Lanolin lotion
  • Nursing pads
  • Poise pads (I know the hospital has them, but I took a couple just in case)
  • Robe
  • Slippers
  • Socks
  • Underwear
  • Nurse sleep bras (I only wear these for the first few weeks post-partum because of breastfeeding.  Your breasts change so much and it can be painful.  Sleep bras help support but don't put too much pressure on your boobies).
  • Pajamas (I didn't pack these because I don't want to risk getting them ruined from bleeding.  I just wear the hospital gowns, but some women prefer their own pajamas).
  • Going home outfit (Don't pack your pre-pregnancy skinny jeans, they won't fit just yet.  I packed some sweatpants and a t-shirt).
  • Prenatal vitamins (Keep taking these while you breastfeed).
  • Phone/charger
  • Blow dryer/straightener (I can't just hang around with wet hair, it bugs me too much.)
  • Nursing pillow
  • Wet wipes (For me to freshen up if needed). 
Hospital Stay - Baby
  • Going home outfit
  • Hat 
  • Swaddling blanket/heavy blanket for ride home
  • Carseat
  • Baby mittens (Sunshine came out with razor sharp claws and I was too nervous to trim them.  The Gerber Baby brand has the best ones I think.  They're smaller for their tiny hands). 
  • Diaper bag (You can leave it in the car.  You never know what could happen on the way home, haha.)
Miscellaneous
  • Photo albums of Sunshine as a baby
  • Gift for Sunshine from baby sister. 
I didn't pack anything for Joe, and I didn't pack anything for him last time either.  We don't live too far from the hospital so he will just go home to shower and change.  He probably won't be staying at the hospital with me anyway because its way too uncomfortable for him and Sunshine will need him to be home with her.

The items under the paperwork and labor and delivery sections are all in one small backpack.  I told you in my last post what happened with our bag last time.  This time it won't be such a hassle to bring it in with us as soon as we get to the hospital.  Everything else is in another bag to be brought into the hospital later.

When you go home be sure to take everything in your room aside from the linens.  Take the diapers, wet wipes, chux pads, mesh undies, pads, tucks wipes, spray bottle, water jug, everything you can.  Your insurance was already billed for it so take it all with you.  

Does anyone have any other suggestions?



No comments:

Post a Comment